Narratives with an Experience
The Business Portfolio Project
uses narratives to explain how a student grows through projects
and activities they experience during their time in the Business
School of the University of Richmond. It is critical for you to
be able to vividly describe your experiences and growth. The following
is a list of suggestions to help you to describe your experiences
more clearly and eloquently.
1. Concentrate on experiencing
what you are writing about. Connect and participate with as vividly
as possible the actions and events you are describing.
2. Let your ideas and words flow easily - revise and be critical
3. Describe your most vivid memories.
4. Write about those memories and experiences that are most important
5. Visualize yourself doing the action or activity you are describing.
6. Read your narrative out loud
as much as possible.
7. Get feedback from at least two other people to practice collaborative writing.
The list was recommended
in Peter Elbow's book entitled Writing With Power.
Return to Table of Contents for The Narrative
Return to the Main Menu for the Consultants'